Location: Philadelphia, PA
- The Sr. Director Nursing Informatics will provide leadership in the implementation, integration, and ongoing evolution of clinical information systems.
- The Sr. Director serves as a liaison between nurses, clinicians, providers, ancillary departments, and Information Systems to align clinical and IT standards with departmental workflows, processes, and policies.
- The Sr. Director Nursing Informatics acts as a change agent for hospital leaders and clinicians to promote adoption of new processes and technologies and achievement and sustainment of expected benefits and is comfortable in moving the organization out of its comfort zone to achieve excellence.
- By continual analysis of organizational needs, industry best practices/advancements and regulatory changes, the Sr. Director develops and transforms an adaptive service delivery model including developing and guiding personnel progress.
- The Sr. Director will enhance and expand the informatics service line through strong communication and collaboration with the cross-functional team and ensures an informatics support model for the in the inpatient, ambulatory and expanded care delivery settings.
- Lead efforts to develop a clinical informatics support strategy in close collaboration with executive management, clinical leaders, operational leaders, administrators, and key staff.
- Lead, recommend and implement scalable enterprise level solutions aligned with departmental and /or organizational goals utilizing healthcare industry standards and best practices.
- Participate in IS strategic and enterprise planning activities as it relates to Nursing and Clinical Informatics, representing the clinical and business needs for the supported areas of responsibility.
- Additionally, ensure alignment with organizational goals & objectives.
- Drive the assessment and implementation of new clinical and non-clinical Information Services that improve operational and care delivery efficiencies, supports patient safety and the highest quality patient care.
- Develop and implement an informatics support strategy, including at the elbow support and closed feedback loop with clinicians, providers and ancillary teams and nursing governance.
- Collaborate with nursing, allied health, business and IS leaders to translate health system strategies into tactical informatics implementation plans.
- This includes the development and/or revision of initiatives or programs related to data collection, retrieval, analysis and interpretation to assist in optimizing patient outcomes and/or effectiveness and efficiency.
- Maintain and update IS career ladders and ensure current job descriptions for each position
- Facilitate an environment in which all employees are encouraged and supported so that they perform at their highest level.
- Oversee departmental performance management processes so that employees receive ongoing feedback and developmental coaching.
- Collaborate with the leaders, project managers and staff to maintain a culture that supports employee retention and satisfaction.
- Performs recruitment and hiring of nursing informatics staff.
- Collaborate with all department leaders to develop, document and monitor adherence to IMPACT performance goals.
- Assist with ensuring that employee evaluations are accurate, on time and consistent with the job descriptions.
- Regularly assess the organizational structure of the team and determines if clinical and business needs of the supported areas of responsibility are being met.
- Develop alternatives as needed and with the approval of the CNIO, CIO and COO and communicate and implement them.
- Ensures employee and stakeholder satisfaction are being measured, performance maintained and results communicated appropriately.
Performance, Project and Change Management:
- Develop and regularly communicate performance metrics (dashboards, key indicators, etc.) to relevant clinical and business leaders regarding activities within responsibility areas.
- Adeptly leads change and transforms teams, is adaptive to changing organizational needs and supports teams in developing new skillsets to support business needs.
- Lead and enforce effective change management processes to ensure successful use and adoption of new tools and processes.
- Sponsor clinical and IS projects and effectively and regularly communicates with key stakeholders timelines, decisions and budget implications
- Coordinate with clinical and operational leadership to ensure relevant decisions are timely and effective.
- Implement agreed upon program methodologies and tools, providing leadership and influence over the selection and implementation of those tools.
- Coordinate within Information Services to develop comprehensive, quality architectures, methodologies and strategies to support implementation and on-going operations.
- Ensure current, accurate documentation to support operation and maintenance of the systems and related training.
- Ensure process design is an integral part of technology design and implementation by identifying critical success factors, resource requirements, prerequisites, optimal processes, and recommended system configurations.
- Lead the evaluation workflows and leads reengineering recommendations of processes around utilization of computerized applications to improve the workflow of patient care and to maximize departmental and organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Ensure informatics quality improvement efforts are consistent, follow regulatory guidelines, promote informatics research and evidence based practice that supports improved clinical outcomes.
- Promote the use of health IT to improve patient safety by designing, developing, implementing and educating on the use of decision support tools.
- Provide critical analysis and evaluation of health IT and recommends revision of clinical systems, processes, and workflows to ensure achievement of positive patient outcomes.
Communications and Governance:
- Proactively develop and create communications strategies and methods to effectively convey information, provide governance and oversight, and facilitate efficient decision-making.
- Target messages to audiences such as executives, Clinical and Operational leadership teams, etc.
- Continually assess current methods and strategies, and develop and implement new options to meet evolving communication needs.
- Lead and support the timely communication to the community regarding all areas of responsibility.
- Use existing vehicles to effect desired results (Leadership briefing, Governance bodies, Town Halls, etc.)
- Lead and/or participate in appropriate meetings including: governance, program/project executive sponsors, steering committees and other targeted committees, etc. to achieve desired objectives.
- Financial Planning, Vendor Management and Optimization
- Participate and provide input into the strategic budget, annual IS Budget process and capital budget.
- Oversee management of cost center using designated financial and variance reporting.
- Participate in vendor contract discussions and negotiations.
- Effectively manages contractors as needed.
- Maintain financial stewardship for any contractual, technical and technical personnel aspects of the department, including providing reporting analysis; resource planning, current financial standing, as well as support and project costs.
- Practice best financial stewardship practices in identifying cost savings.
Information Security Requirements:
- Understand and comply with all enterprise and IS departmental information security policies, procedures and standards.
- Support the integration of information security in the development, design, and implementation of Hospital Technology Resources that process, transmit, or store information.
- Support all compliance activities related to state, federal regulatory requirements, healthcare accreditation standards, and all other applicable regulations that govern the use and disclosure of patient, financial, or other confidential information.
Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations:
- Registered Nursing License in The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- RN-BC or CPHIMSS from ANCC or obtained within 12 months of placement into position.
- Master’s degrees in Nursing Informatics, Information Systems, Business or Healthcare Administration.
- Minimum of ten (10) years nursing or clinical informatics experience in a large academic healthcare institution(s) with ability to demonstrate strong working knowledge of healthcare operations.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the coordination of healthcare or similar projects of size and complexity.
- High level of proficiency in Project Management tools and MS applications (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to quickly learn and assimilate new tools and technology into daily work to support project work
- Highly knowledgeable in EHR workflows, experienced in EHR implementation and optimization projects.