Location: Fresno, CA
Duration: Contract to Hire
Description of Project: This is a UNIX System Engineer position. Duties include administering a mix of UNIX and Linux (Solaris, RedHat) servers in a primarily virtual (VMware) environment. Such duties include keeping OS and software patches up to date, maintaining security to Corporate standards, monitoring performance and capacity, and maintaining uptime. Additionally, a large portion of the job is creating, maintaining and troubleshooting file transfers through Korn shell scripting of SFTP jobs. These activities will require communication with Internal and External customers, so clear business and technical communication skills are important. These activities also require coordinating efforts with Internal and External resources, so project management skills are valuable.
Summary: The main function of a systems engineer is to apply the principles of computer science and mathematical analysis to the design, development, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers work. A typical systems engineer analyzes user needs, and then designs, tests, and develops software to meet those needs.
Required Skill Sets:
- UNIX (Solaris, RedHat preferred) Command Line System Administration
- Shell (Korn, POSIX, Bash preferred) scripting proficiency
- Server VM (VMware preferred) management experience
- SFTP knowledge
Preferred Skill Sets:
- UNIX/Linux network configuration including aggregates
- Experience working with fiber and NFS attached storage
- Teamwork, Project Management, Customer Service
Software Skills Required: UNIX/Linux administration, Shell Scripting, VMware or similar
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant field required. 0-2 years experience required.
- Modify existing databases and database management systems or direct programmers and analysts to make changes
- Write and code logical and physical database descriptions and specify identifiers of database to management system or direct others in coding descriptions
- Work as part of a project team to coordinate database development and determine project scope and limitations
- Review project requests describing database user needs to estimate time and cost required to accomplish project.
- Verbal and written communication skills, problem solving skills, customer service and interpersonal skills
- Basic ability to work independently and manage one’s time
- Basic knowledge of the full software development lifecycle: from business/systems analysis, through requirements gathering and functional specification authoring, to development, testing and delivery
- Basic ability to troubleshoot issues and make system changes as needed to resolve issue
- Basic knowledge of circuit boards, processors, electronic equipment and computer hardware and software
- Knowledge of computer development software across multiple platforms.