Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Duration: 6 Months
- This individual contributor position facilitates the coordination of personnel and other resources (e.g. contractors, vendor partners) required to successfully complete multiple, complex programs of interdependent work, including projects and initiatives, ensuring the delivery of quality business outcomes including underlying project deliverables, overarching program deliverables, new and improved processes, and services.
- The Senior Program Manager manages projects of varying complexity and operates in a tightly regulated industry environment.
- The Senior Program Manager is directly responsible for ensuring the execution of all key steps in program delivery: business, technical and functional requirements elicitation, dependency mapping, milestone projections, task-level program steps, identification and regular publishing of metrics which define program success.
- The position must regularly monitor work to ensure that programs remain in line with projected costs and timelines.
- This is accomplished by ensuring the adoption of well-established, industry best practice frameworks and methodologies.
- The Senior Program Manager is accountable for complying with all laws and regulations associated with duties and responsibilities.
- This position reports to the Manager, Project Execution.
- Interfaces directly with client management (business owners and project team members) in negotiation and definition of requirements.
- Negotiates, defines, interprets plan/policy requirements and presents options and processing capabilities to upper level management.
- Provides guidance and direction to all areas placing requirements on the system.
- Has management responsibility for cross-divisional programs with cross-department and cross-organization impacts.
- Interfaces frequently with IT, PMO and business leaders. Exercises diplomacy and tact in discussions with client management on controversial subjects.
- Frequent contact with client management to exchange information and/or make presentations on information systems concepts.
- Reviews and maintains contact with selected user groups with similar problems and user organizations.
- Attends outside technical meetings as directed, making presentations when necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Computer Science, or related field.
- Completion of an approved educational program or four years of related experience may be accepted in lieu of degree.
- PMI certification preferred.
- Must have a minimum of 7-10 years of experience* in planning and implementing projects and programs, including developing scope, goals, work plans, timelines, implementation strategies and measurement processes for assessing progress toward goals and program outcomes.
- The 7-10 years must include a minimum of three years of experience in senior level planning and implementing programs and complex projects, including developing scope, goals, work plans, timelines, implementation strategies and measurement processes for assessing progress toward goals and program outcomes.
- This experience may include serving as a Scrum Master, Release Train Engineer, Product Owner, or Agile coach.
- High degree of competency with PMBOK and PgMBOK (Program Management Body of Knowledge) and/or Agile methodologies and frameworks such as program management, project management, software development life cycle and ITIL.
- Six Sigma and Organizational development best practices a plus.
- Requires advanced knowledge in the field of computer science, including hardware and software products, computer systems, systems analysis, programming, development/maintenance process, and data management for large complex systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to create and deliver presentations to organization management including Senior Management are required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple, interdependent project teams and maintain program oversight with minimal oversight from management.
- Ability to demonstrate presentation and facilitation skills working with key stakeholders and management including executive management required.
- Experience in interpreting and explaining specialized or complex material into information consumable by the public required.
- Must have demonstrated ability to critically analyze business information and process flows, gather relevant requirements and generate business, functional and technical specifications needed for successful delivery.
- Must have demonstrated ability working with a project team to help shape policy and to make complex decisions involving new applications, systems studies, software purchase requirements analysis, business evaluations, cost effectiveness innovations, installation decisions, and business planning for systems that use advanced state-of-the-art technology.
- Must have demonstrated ability making decisions that require significant use of extensive technical, functional, leadership, and managerial skills to maximize benefits, while minimizing impacts on all external/internal information systems and headquarters/field personnel.
Analytical & Creative:
- Must have experience identifying, defining, quantifying and solving complex or highly technical program-related issues on a regular basis.
- Must have experience using creativity/innovative approaches to resolve issues despite minimum lead times and with minimum requirement definition for changes or projects of major proportions.
- Must have experience correlating requirements and information from multiple sources, anticipating both current and future processing and management information needs, analyzing their potential impacts, and creating new technical solutions for these needs.
Accountabilities and Essential Functions:
- Continuously adheres to program and project management standards, processes, and procedures to ensure that products and services meet the client requirements in a cost-efficient manner.
- Mentors junior-level program and project managers in areas of professional development and skills enhancement.
- Actively pursues personal skills and leadership development opportunities to ensure growth and the ability to demonstrate a high level of quality and productivity.
- Actively participates in the aligning work and work habits with the organization’s strategic and complementary tactical plans.
- The strategy and tactics are to be responsive to and properly aligned with the organization’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Adheres to program, project and quality related processes in collaboration with fellow program managers and department management.
- Demonstrates leadership in evaluating current processes, recommending improvement opportunities, and evangelizing new processes with program management staff.
- Develops, manages, and builds strong relationships / partnerships with clients, vendors, peers/other teams, and staff to ensure a high level of personal and team understanding of the client’s business operations, IT support needs, and IT service expectations.
- Effectively manage all areas of programs including initiating, planning, executing, controlling and closing of programs.
- Effectively manage multiple, complex programs, including up to 5-7 individual projects, initiatives or workstreams ranging from medium to extra-large in size, medium to high complexity, and cross-functional in nature.
- Manage or serve as a scrum master, release train engineer, or product owner for initiatives that are high strategic and operational priorities with high visibility at the senior management level.
- Maintains ongoing business relationship with business owners (Directors and above) and stakeholders for assigned programs. Serve as “single point of contact” for program-related issues.
- Assist in management of larger, more complex, cross-functional projects in support of senior project and program management staff.
- Provide regular reporting and visibility on program statuses.
- Define and oversee the business and financial results expected from a program; develop implementation plans, conduct risk assessments and develop and implement strategy; must ensure that underlying projects will effectively integrate with existing competing projects and strategies to both short and long term business goals.
- Maintain oversight of underlying project teams in coordination with individual project managers, identify in advance necessary resources and assign tasks and timeframes to facilitate successful completion of identified projects within the scope of assigned programs.
- Manage technical challenges of applications and new product development; identify, communicate and manage all levels of risk to program business owners and senior management.
- Successfully identify and communicate risk, scope creep and create actionable risk mitigation plans.
- Understands Departmental Goals and Objectives and delivers work products to contribute to those goals.
- Job duties are performed in a normal and clean office environment with normal noise levels.
- Work is predominately done while standing or sitting.
- The ability to comprehend, document, calculate, visualize, and analyze are required.
- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Shares information with others so there are no surprises.
- Involves others as appropriate to accomplish individual and group goals.
- Encourages unity rather than “us vs. them” thinking.
- Welcomes and acknowledges the ideas and input of others.
- Customer focus Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Searches for ways to improve customer service.
- Follows up with customers to ensure problems are solved.
- Independently anticipates and meets customer needs.
- Internalizes customer feedback and provides innovative ideas to meet their future needs.
- Ensures accountability Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Monitors progress of performance and changes approach accordingly.
- Takes ownership of own work.
- Takes responsibility for successes and failures in own work.
- Follows through on commitments.
- Instills trust Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Is honest and straightforward when working with others.
- Honors agreements and commitments, even when working through competing priorities.
- Shows consistency between words and actions.
- Maintains integrity and professional codes of conduct.
- Values differences Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Behaves with sensitivity toward differences in cultural norms, expectations, and ways of communicating.
- Challenges stereotyping or offensive comments.
- Seeks out the diverse perspectives and talents of others.
- Works effectively with others who have different perspectives, backgrounds, and/or styles.
- Plans and aligns Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Aligns own work plans and priorities with those of other units.
- Balances the need for adequate planning with the need for action.
- Creates a realistic time line with steps outlined in the right sequence.
- Anticipates and minimizes bottlenecks or delays.
- Manages complexity Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Assesses complex issues from multiple angles in order to get the complete picture.
- Evaluates the potential consequences and implications of different options.
- Identifies the underlying issues and root causes of problems.
- Incorporates new information and concepts when solving problems.
- Persuades Using compelling arguments to gain the support and commitment of others.
- Negotiates effectively for needed resources.
- Makes appropriate compromises to arrive at solutions with others.
- Provides sound rationale for recommendations to gain others’ support and commitment.
- Convinces others to support his/her positions or recommendations.