Location: Oakland, CA
- Responsible for national actuarial support to the Medicaid business line and to the regional actuaries who support Medicaid in the regions.
- Provides Medicaid coverage to over 900,000 members across the program.
- Provide actuarial services to develop best-practice actuarial models and promote implementation Program-wide.
- Maintain accountability for the development of the organization’s rate structure, maintenance of adequate reserves, and development of new products.
- Provide data/analytic expertise to support actuarial services including financial reporting, trend analysis, utilization studies, rate development and claims liability estimates.
- Evaluates product line performance and the risk and appropriateness of assumptions used in product development.
- Initiates and designs high priority primary research activities on behalf of clients.
- Addresses opportunities for process improvements and influencing change.
- Works on projects that require more complex planning and direction setting with diverse and multiple stakeholders.
- Analyzes the financial risks for various asset/liability matching scenarios and monitors the appropriateness of reserves.
- Serves as an expert on the current health care market.
- Helps identify key gaps in knowledge and needed research for Program and Regions.
- Guides clients away from redundant, non-strategic, cost-ineffective research.
- Sets priorities for all ad-hoc projects and analyses with key clients.
- Assists clients in strategic planning, marketplace analysis, estimating growth potential, product research, image and reputation analysis, brand building, and service performance and improvements.
- Makes initial determinations on reserves, dividend allocations, and surplus forecasts.
- Five (5) years of actuarial experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science.
- Belongs to the Society of Actuaries with the designation of ASA (Associate).
- Ability to manage large, complex projects and oversee multiple projects at the same time.
- Ability to apply advanced actuarial methodologies and their applications to solve business problems.
- Ability to apply advanced principles, theories, and concepts and explain to clients.
- Strong familiarity with the internal and external statistical plans and sources of data, and the use of spreadsheet applications.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Experience in both actuarial and business operations preferred.
8 years of health actuarial experience
- Medicaid actuarial experience (three or more years) required
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries
- Strong technical actuarial skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work collaboratively with actuarial teams and non-actuarial business partners