Location: Springfield, MA
- This position is responsible for managing the preparation and analysis of the company’s financial position including monitoring revenues, medical and health service costs, and administrative costs.
- Responsible for management and oversight of the timely and accurate monthly consolidation.
- Develop, implement and upgrade financial systems and controls to ensure compliance with CMS, NAIC, and other state and federal regulatory agencies and guidelines.
- Reconciliation and Financial Analysis (30%)
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of GAAP and Statutory principles, FASB / IFRS pronouncements and IRS guidelines to create the financial infrastructure to support new lines of business as well as key strategic initiatives.
- Manage the review of various financial transactions, reconciliations, and financial reports from Sage 100 to ensure that financial information is accurately reported.
- Manage the process of collecting and reconciling supporting documentation related to monthly account reconciliations and ensure resolution for any identified issues.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of new systems and / or procedures to provide staff the tools they need to be successful as well as improve overall department efficiency.
- Responsible for management review and approval of balance sheet reconciliations, including banking and investment transactions.
- Financial Reporting (40%)
- Work with senior management to develop procedures, systems, and schedules to accurately reflect the reporting of financial data for Commercial, Medicare & Medicaid lines of business as well as fiscal reporting.
- Responsible for the review, analysis and consolidation of financial statements as well as departmental reports for budget managers and senior leaders.
- Work with senior management to develop and coordinate financial presentations as well as other informational meetings within the company.
- Provide expertise for the coordination and development of financial reporting to support regulatory and statutory reporting to external government agencies.
- Manage preparation of tax reporting and payment requirements, including filing of all tax returns for both not-for-profit and for-profit entities.
- Lead development and implementation of new financial reporting processes and procedures in connection with new tools or process improvement
- Represent the accounting department by working on cross functional teams with managers in regards to activities that impact financial information and reporting processes for the company.
- Management of Staff and Workflow Responsibilities (10%)
- Responsible for the continued development and implementation of the high-performance culture.
- Provide leadership and direction for accounting staff, establish and monitor performance, and provide quality feedback to support the accounting staff’s career growth.
- Other Departmental Duties and Projects (20%)
- Providing peak activity assistance during GAAP and STAT year end and interim audits as well as Compliance Monitoring routines
- Perform other responsibilities assigned by the Director of Accounting as needed which may include preparing documentation of standard operating procedures, training team members on new responsibilities, or resolving accounting/financial reporting issue.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field with more than 5 years of related financial experience preferably in an HMO, insurance, or healthcare environment, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Experience with MS Windows, MS Office and PC based accounting systems including but not limited to MAS90/Sage 100, and Amisys Advance
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting conventions
- Knowledge of Statutory accounting principles and tax preferred, but not required
- Comfortable working with senior leadership teams, internal and external stakeholders
- Highly skilled with financial reporting and analysis
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Excellent leadership skills including listening, speaking, negotiation, conflict resolution, problem solving and decision making
- Highly analytical, quick learner and detail oriented
- Excellent ability to prioritize work and meet short deadlines
- Ability to provide functional skill training, coaching and feedback to staff
- Ability to communicate with internal and external customers in a way that they can understand
- Ability to explain complex functional /technical issues in a way that can be easily understood by anyone
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team; departmental and cross functional